Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Ode to Mary

It’s the evening before I leave for Colorado and Ride The Rockies. The bike is packed. The duffel (yes, only one!) is packed – to the gills. I’ve run through the mental checklist of supplies and everything is accounted for.

This 7-day mountain excursion is a first for me, and I’m amazingly calm. What a sharp contrast to Six Gap Georgia last year. I fretted. I worried. I doubted myself.

Not this year. I have a lot more miles under my belt going into Ride the
Rockies than I did for Six Gap. Plus, my Specialized Ruby has the exact gear combo I need. Having scaled Mt. Mitchell (NC) a few weeks ago with gears – and leg strength – to spare – and followed it up with two more days of grueling workouts -- I’m confident I can sit in the saddle and climb for hours on end in Colorado at slightly lesser (but much longer) grades.

Besides, I’ll just sing my way through the mountains. (Sing it, BOBbies: Climb Every Mountain...." ) Or count backwards. Or do whatever I need to do to break the monotony of a 2- to 3-hour climb. (Makes Sugarloaf seem so insignificant, doesn't it, until you're the one scaling the beast in 95-degree temperatures and 95% humidity).

Thanks to all the BOBbies for the wonderful words of encouragement. I wish all of you were along for the ride: Carol, Kim and soon-to-be-Dr. Chow, Julie F., Julie M., Marcia, Mary, Lisa P., Aylin, Cindy, Joy, Mary Lu, Amy and Olga and all the other BOBbies we’ve trained with over the past eight months. Oh, what fun we would have in the altitude!

This week is as much for me as it is for my sons – Austin and Chandler. Here’s what I want you to take away from Mom’s journey: Follow your heart. Live life to the fullest. And when the love of your life reaches for the brass ring, I hope you’ll find it in your heart to make her dream come true.

Next stop: 9,000 feet!